Thursday, October 1, 2009

Compost Heaven

The ideal compost bin.... I do not think it exists but this is close enough.
I made this my first carpentry experience. You can buy a plastic one for around $90 or convert an old plastic trash bin but after a lot of research I decided to use wood. It may not last as long but I don't mind making another in a few years. This one cost me about $10 for nails and hinges, the scrap wood and tool I had.

Best recipe for the average back yard compost
  • 50 - 70% wet,
  • good aeration
  • 3 brown to 1 green materials
Layer like a cake (kinda mimics layers on a forest floor)
  1. straw
  2. all food scraps (avoid animal products)
  3. sprinkle garden soil or other compost (for bacteria and buggies)
  4. shredded dry stuff (leaves, twigs, )
  5. moist grass and garden clippings on top (no weeds)

Tips
  • add a few red worms
  • add manure cow or chicken no carnivorous animal poo
  • higher carbon (brown stuff) is good for growth
  • higher nitrogen (green stuff) is higher nutrients good for flower and fruiting plants
3 months later..getting fullerkitty says- Yay! Compost!

1 comment: